MANILA, Philippines — After the controversial tourism campaign of video the Department of Tourism made it to the news, a foreign vlogger has created a US $100-worth tourism video for the country.
Israeli Nuseir Yassin, popularly known for his one-minute videos as Nas Daily, lamented how governments pay millions of dollars for a tourism video which is sometimes copied from other videos. This was in the light of the controversial “Experience the Philippines” video titled “Sights” allegedly copied from a South African tourism video.
“I am always amazed by how much money is wasted in the media business. Governments spend millions of dollars to make simple videos while agencies take a huge cut of that,” Nas wrote in his Facebook post.
“So I tried to take a swing at making a tourism video for the Philippines for $100. If tourism departments are interested in exposure – and not cinematography and actors – then this should do the job. Some of the best videos are the simplest,” he added.
Nas Daily also commented that the “Sights” video made by DOT and former advertising agency partner, McCann Worldgroup Philippines, is not Philippine specific.
Due to this, Nas Daily in his Day 434th video titled “This doesn’t cost millions” made a 30-second clip about the Philippines. He featured Philippines’ tourist destinations but highlighted the love Filipinos offer to tourists.
“You can be blind and see how there is more love in the Philippines. But if you think the Philippines is just another island then you must be blind,” he said in the video.
Previously, Nas Daily who said his favorite country is the Philippines, posted several videos of the country and his experiences during his stay in early 2017.
Aside from Nas Daily, Creatives of Manila also made a tourism video for the Philippines which also went viral.
The video was described “Tourism ad obviously not commissioned by DOT. Labor of love for the country.”
“Sometimes it’s hard to fall in love with the Philippines but most of the time it’s harder not to,” the video read.
Tourism ad obviously not commissioned by DOT. Labor of love for the country. pic.twitter.com/7vw6Vuow7d
— Creatives of Manila (@CreativesOfMNL) June 14, 2017
Evolution of Philippine tourism advertising
What’s next for DOT?
The DOT has terminated its contract with McCann after a review and listening to its stakeholders. It announced that it will reopen the procurement process for the production of a new advertising material which will be consistent with the current slogan… “It’s more fun in the Philippines.”
DOT Assistant Secretary Frederick Alegre said it will now look for an agency which can create one material at a time. He added that the budget will come from the P650 million.