Candice Iyog, Cebu Pacific vice president for marketing and customer experience, on Wednesday said her group expects to boost operations by 16 percent before the year ends.
“We have to reforecast our projections, our recovery, I think while everyone is hoping for the vaccine, I think we cannot afford to wait for the vaccine to get here before we start to confidently fly again,” Iyog told reporters.
“Based on what we have in place today so that we can already start calibrating and moving closer towards where our peers are, where they are at above 50 percent already, we have quite of ways to go,” she added.
Cebu Pacific continued its cargo and repatriation flights even during the start of the virus lockdown in March.
But since it restarted commercial operations in June, the airline only operated less than 10 percent of its normal capacity until November.
Cebu Pacific currently holds around 400 to 450 flights weekly to 28 domestic and eight international destinations.
Covid-19 passport mulled
Meanwhile, the Department of Tourism (DoT) expressed support for Cebu Pacific’s bid to come up with a global Covid-19 passport to facilitate international cross-border travel with stringent health and safety measures in place.
“The DOT recognizes that a Covid-19 passport is vital to reviving international travel as it will restore the trust and confidence of people to travel to other countries once more,” Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said.
Puyat pointed out that the proposed “Covid-19 Passport” will assure receiving countries that their inbound tourists are vaccinated.
“But until then international travel will most likely be restricted to select zones, countries that have little to no cases,” she said.
Cebu Pacific’s revenue fell 69.6 percent to P19.34 billion in the third quarter from the P63.6 billion it booked in the same period last year.
Losses from January to September period reached P14.69 billion, more than twice the P6.77 billion losses last year.
Credit belongs to : www.tribune.net.ph