President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Thursday expressed confidence that Vice President Sara Duterte-Carpio, whom he has appointed as Education Secretary, will undertake reforms in the country’s education system to prepare Filipino students for a brighter future.
“Once we had an education system that prepared coming generations for more and better jobs. There is hope for a comeback. Vice President and soon-to-be Secretary of Education Sara Duterte-Carpio will fit that mission to achieve,” Marcos said during his inaugural speech at the National Museum of Fine Arts.
Duterte-Carpio attended the inauguration of her election running mate, wearing a pleated cream terno adorned with flowers created by Cary Santiago. She also attended the oathtaking of the incoming Cabinet members at Malacanang later in the day.
The daughter of former President Rodrigo Duterte already held her inauguration last June 19, coinciding with the birth anniversary of national hero Dr. Jose Rizal and Father’s Day, in her hometown of Davao City.
This was a departure from tradition, as the President and Vice President are usually sworn into office at noon on June 30 according to the Constitution.
Marcos stressed there should be an improvement in the educational materials of students in the country to equip them with the necessary knowledge and skills for employment.
“What we teach in our schools, the materials used must be rethought. I am not talking about history. I am talking about the basics, the sciences. Sharpening theoretical aptitude and imparting vocational skills,” he said.
“Our teachers from elementary are heroes fighting ignorance with poor paper weapons. We are condemning the future of our race to menial occupations abroad, then they are exploited by traffickers,” the President added.
Marcos also expressed optimism that the welfare and interest of the overseas Filipino workers will be properly attended to under the leadership of former Labor Undersecretary Susan “Toots” Ople, whom he designated as the first-ever secretary of the Department of Migrant Workers.
Marcos also vowed to give overseas Filipino workers all the advantages under his administration “for them to survive and to thrive.”
“Our nurses are the best in the world. They equated themselves with the highest distinction abroad, having suffered even the highest casualties… They are out there because we cannot pay them for the same risk and workload that we have back here,” he said.
“There will be changes starting tomorrow. I am confident because I have an Ople in my Cabinet,” he added.
Ople, an advocate of overseas Filipino workers (OFW), confirmed last month that she accepted the post as the head of the newly created Migrant Workers department, which will take over from the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration.
Credit belongs to : www.manilastandard.net