Manila Water connects 1.8-M poor Filipinos

Manila Water Company reported that its social flagship program, Tubig Para sa Barangay (TPSB), has already benefited almost two million people from marginalized communities across the east zone of Metro Manila.

In a statement, the firm said TPSB completed more than 800 projects which resulted in supplying clean, potable water to 1.8 million Filipinos living in some of the poorest communities in the east zone area.

“TPSB is a win-win solution for our customers and the company as this program is able to address the water needs of low-income communities, while reducing high systems losses,” said Manila Water Corporate Communications Affairs Group Head Jeric Sevilla Jr.

He noted that, TPSB addresses various situations prevalent in some communities, such as the so-called spaghetti or illegal water connections, low water pressure to no water, leaks, and poor customer service in general.

“Now, these communities have 24/7 water supply that is clean and safe-to-drink,” said Sevilla.

The water is tested regularly and has been compliant with the Philippine National Standards for Drinking Water. Thus, reducing water-borne diseases and improving the health conditions in the area.

To ensure program continuity, TPSB executes sustainable strategies, including technical solutions and community partnerships.

It subsidizes up to 65 percent of total service connection fee, while the remaining 35 percent is payable in 12 months and is added to their monthly water consumption fees.

“The most important strategy is the involvement of the community every step of the way. Pre, during, and post-implementation, the beneficiaries and the local government units are consulted. This evokes their sense of ownership in the program and makes them more participatory,” Sevilla added.

Until recently, TPSB also provided beneficiary communities with livelihood opportunities, such as manufacturing meter protectors and handicrafts. “Cooperatives were formed for this purpose,” he explained.

Aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 1 or No Poverty, Manila Water is supporting and enabling marginalized communities through the provision of clean, potable water through TPSB or water for low-income communities.

*****
Credit belongs to : www.mb.com.ph

Check Also

SMC Infra rolls out seamless southern tollways project

SMC Infrastructure on Thursday, December 1, 2022, implemented its “Seamless Southern Tollways” program to eliminate …