The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) assured that everything is still under control despite suffering another cancellation in the ongoing Philippine Cup in Bacolor, Pampanga.
PBA commissioner Willie Marcial yesterday said there’s no need to press the panic button after the scheduled game between Alaska and San Miguel Beer on Saturday had been called off due to health and safety reasons.
The match between Phoenix and NLEX, however, still pushed through.
“Everything is doing well. There is no need to panic at this point,” Marcial told the Daily Tribune shortly after announcing the postponement of the Aces-Beermen encounter.
This is the second time that teams were not allowed to play since the resumption of games started last week.
A day before the season restart on 1 September, the PBA decided to hold the games of NorthPort in accordance with the league’s stringent and safety guidelines.
With that, the Batang Pier were not allowed to train for almost a week, leaving them as the only team yet to see action in Pampanga.
The league and the Pampanga government previously reached a threshold agreement that a team will be held off for 10 days once it yields three positive cases.
If six teams report three or more cases within each squad, the league will be forced to stop its entire tournament.
Marcial, however, assured that they will immediately reschedule the postponed games next week, once the teams involved yield negative results on their weekly mandatory testing on Monday.
“We just have to continue implementing our set of protocols. We’re still far from pressing the panic button,” Marcial added.
“We’re doing our best to maintain the safety of the teams and players. We’re set to reschedule their games maybe next week.”
Credit belongs to : www.tribune.net.ph