Marco Muzzo, drunk driver who killed children and their grandfather in 2015 crash, granted full parole

Toronto

Marco Muzzo, the Toronto-area man convicted of four counts of impaired driving causing death after a 2015 crash that killed three children and their grandfather has been granted full parole.

Marco Muzzo was granted day parole last April, nearly five years after the crash that sparked national grief. He appeared before the Parole Board of Canada via videoconference Tuesday. (Pam Davies/CBC)

A Toronto-area man who killed three children and their grandfather in a drunk driving crash that captured national attention was granted full parole Tuesday more than five years after the incident.

The decision was made as Marco Muzzo appeared before the Parole Board of Canada in a remote hearing that also heard the victims' grieving relatives describe the ongoing trauma caused by their loss.

Before the decision was delivered, Muzzo said that while he can't change the past, he hopes to help prevent others from doing what he did.

"I'm not asking for forgiveness and nor do I ever expect it," he told the board.

"I know my reintegration has been slow and will continue to be slow and steady."

The board imposed a number of conditions, including that Muzzo not consume alcohol or go into bars and strip clubs, and that he stay out of Brampton, Ont., and the Regional Municipality of York.

Muzzo was sentenced to 10 years behind bars after pleading guilty in 2016 to four counts of impaired driving causing death and two of impaired driving causing bodily harm.

Nine-year-old Daniel Neville-Lake, his five-year-old brother Harrison, their two-year-old sister Milly and the children's 65-year-old grandfather, Gary Neville, were killed in the September 2015 crash.

The children's grandmother and great-grandmother were also seriously injured in the collision in Vaughan, Ont.

At Tuesday's hearing, the children's parents urged the board to not grant Muzzo parole, saying he has not truly taken responsibility or shown remorse for his actions.

Should Muzzo be released on full parole, they asked that it be in another province to spare them the stress of potentially crossing paths with him.

Three children in the Neville-Lake Family died after a devastating crash in Vaughan in September 2015. From left to right are Daniel 9, Milly, 2 and Harry, 5.(Facebook)

"He scares me. The thought of him being out on the street frightens me greatly. I get panicked and anxious thinking about him," the children's mother, Jennifer Neville-Lake, told the board.

"There is absolutely nothing that can be done to spin the death of all of my children and my father into something good. The idea that three innocent kids have to pay the price for him to learn a common sense lesson about decency, responsibility, and road safety is repugnant."

Muzzo was previously denied full parole last April, though he was granted day parole at that time.

Corrections

  • A previous version of this story said the September 2015 crash was more than six years ago. It was more than five.
    Feb 09, 2021 6:58 PM ET

Credit belongs to : www.cbc.ca

Check Also

‘Fabian’ slightly intensifies, seen to exit PAR by Monday

MANILA, Philippines — Tropical Storm "Fabian" slightly intensified as it continue to approach the Philippine …

error: Content is protected !!