MANILA – The Department of Health (DOH) is now investigating the alleged illegal online selling of government-procured jabs in the cities of Mandaluyong and San Juan, an official said on Saturday.
During a Laging Handa briefing, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said all vaccines available in the Philippines are using emergency use authorization (EUA) and cannot be sold commercially, more so because it is government-procured.
“Tayo po ay nakipag-ugnayan na sa mga government officials at sila ay gumagawa na rin ng imbestigasyon and at the same time ang DOH together with DILG (Department of the Interior and Local Government) ay gumagawa ng imbestigasyon but defintitely kung ‘yan ay mapatunayang totoo (We are now coordinating with government officials and has in fact launched an investigation together with DILG. If this is found true) they will be penalized based on the sanctions that are provided in our existing laws,” she said.
A viral post had been circulating online showing that priority slots for coronavirus vaccines are offered at a price by people with alleged connections with the local governments of Mandaluyong and San Juan.
In separate statements, San Juan Mayor Francis Zamora and Mandaluyong Mayor Menchie Abalos confirmed that an investigation is being conducted in coordination with law enforcers regarding the report.
They said vaccines are given for free to qualified individuals based on the guidelines of the Interagency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases.
Zamora said whoever is claiming to have a contact within the city government to sell their vaccine slots is “propagating a scam to defraud people of money” and must be reported immediately to the authorities.
Abalos, meanwhile, warned that anyone caught selling vaccines or vaccine slots to the public will be charged in court. (PNA)
Credit belongs to : www.pna.gov.ph