EASY-TO-MAKE dish to ease back into the grind. / PHOTOGRAPHS BY WRENN SANCHEZ FOR THE DAILY TRIBUNE
Malipayong Bag-ong Tuig!
If you’re slowly easing back into the grind after the holiday celebrations, serving simple and flavorful dishes at home seems to be what your family will appreciate after bingeing on rich foods.
Here’s a quick and hearty chicken ulam dish I got from the recipe book of Liberato Fernandez. You can make it in under 30 minutes and its ingredients are readily available in every Filipino home’s pantry. Aside from chicken that all kids love, the sweet and citrusy kamatis sauce is also great for spooning over hot rice!
1 whole chicken, cut into 12 pieces
½ kilo ripe tomatoes, diced
2 pcs. garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
1 tsp chicken powder (optional)
1. In a pot, add oil. Add garlic and onion. Saute for about three minutes or till onion is translucent.
2. Add tomatoes and saute for three minutes on high heat.
3. Add chicken. Stir meat with rest of ingredients.
4. Add oyster sauce, brown sugar, patis, pepper and chicken powder.
5. Cover pot and let chicken cook for 45 minutes on medium to high heat. Serve while hot.
Credit belongs to : www.tribune.net.ph