President Marcos talked to the family of the third Filipino casualty in the cross-border attacks on Gaza strip which sparked a devastating war between Israel and Hamas.
Mr. Marcos on Sunday called the sister of Loreta Villarin Alacre, a 49-year-old caregiver who was earlier reported missing after Hamas launched rockets from Gaza into Israel.
He vowed to immediately bring home Alacre’s remains despite the challenges due to the volatile situation in Israel.
“We have assistance for the family, but we will do everything we can to bring her home first. We just have to wait for the situation in Israel to calm down because it is very chaotic right now and everything is closed,” the President said.
“We will help you. The government is here for you. All our embassies are on alert, they know your situation … Everyone wants to go home, so we are working on that and as soon as we get a chance, we will bring them all home,” he added.
The President said the Department of Migrant Workers and the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration will extend all the necessary assistance to the bereaved family.
He said the country’s ambassador to Egypt is coordinating with the authorities for the possible opening of a humanitarian corridor that will allow the government to start the repatriation process.
Last week, the President also spoke to the families of two other Filipino fatalities – Angelyn Aguirre, 32, from Pangasinan, and Paul Vincent Castelvi, 42, from Pampanga, both caregivers.
An Israeli official extolled the bravery and heroism of Aguirre, who showed “unbelievable humanity” when she chose to stay with her employer.
Fleur Hassan-Nahoum, the deputy mayor of Jerusalem, said Aguirre showed “unimaginable honor in the face of evil.”
Castelvi, who was to become a first-time father when his wife gives birth later this year, was killed in a bomb shelter.
Credit belongs to : www.manilastandard.net