Random Image Display on Page Reload

106 areas under calamity state

Cagayan, Pampanga, Bulacan join group; ‘Egay’ deaths rise to 25

A total of 106 places across the country are now under a state of calamity, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said Monday, as Cagayan, Pampanga and Bulacan joined the list of provinces declaring a calamity state to tap their emergency funds after the onslaught of typhoon “Egay” last week and the incessant rains due to the southwest monsoon or “habagat”

The three provinces joined Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, Abra, Mountain Province, Bataan and Cavite in declaring a state of calamity along with various cities and municipalities, mostly in Luzon, the NDRRMC said in a briefing.

Egay unleashed strong winds and rains when it made landfall in Cagayan last week and pummeled other areas in Luzon, killing 25 at last count.

The state weather bureau said more rains are expected in parts of Luzon and the Visayas in the next few days due to the southwest monsoon, enhanced by another storm, “Falcon.”

‘HABAGAT’ EFFECTS. In this aerial photo, houses are seen submerged in flood waters in Brgy. San Miguel, Calumpit, Bulacan, as residents wade through them or use bancas to move to drier ground (below right). In Ilocos Norte, US Marines help their Philippine counterparts in loading generators for use at clear the Laoag International Airport and nearby communities (below left) in Ilocos Sur, local police and disaster rescuers carry the body of John Paul Sabluden, 19, who was reported missing since July 26 at the start of the rains triggered by Typhoon ‘Egay.’ Maria Tan/ABS-CBN grab, PMC, MDRRMC photos

In its latest report, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said the death toll from Egay had reached 25, while 52 others were injured and 23 remained missing, including four Philippine Coast Guard personnel whose boat capsized in Abulug, Cagayan last week.

Some 2.3 million people or 654,837 families were affected by the storm across 13 regions in the Philippines, the NDRRMC said.

The total damage left by Egay was adjusted to P5.4 billion, with damage to infrastructure worth P3.5 billion and agricultural damage pegged at P1.9 billion.

The government has so far given out assistance worth P146.6 million, most of which were food packs distributed by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).

The Department of Agriculture (DA) also said it has given a total 111,873 bags of rice seeds, 14,426 bags of corn seeds and 2,582 kilograms of assorted vegetable seeds to Egay-affected farmers.

A quick response fund of P500 million has also been prepared for the rehabilitation of farms damaged by the typhoon, the DA added.

At least P5.198 billion of roads and bridges were destroyed by Typhoon Egay in Luzon province, the Department of Public Works and Highways said Monday.

In a statement, the DPWH said it has intensified numerous clearing operations of major roads in Luzon province, and is actively working on the immediate reopening of 17 roads rendered impassable due to combined effects of southwest monsoon and Egay.

The Bureau of Maintenance of the department said at least 43 roads have been cleared and reopened, despite incessant rainfall especially in parts of Central Luzon.

The DA said Typhoon Egay caused P1.54 billion worth of damage to agriculture as of July 30.

Reports from DA regional field offices (RFOs) in Cordillera Administrative Region, Ilocos region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, CALABARZON, MIMAROPA, Western Visayas, and Caraga, said the storm damage affected the livelihood of 99,272 farmers and fishers.

Production loss due to the super typhoon totaled 66,075 metric tons from 110,086 hectares of affected agricultural areas.

Agricultural commodities that were damaged were rice, corn, high-value crops, livestock and poultry, and fisheries.

The damage is expected to go higher as more reports come in, officials said.

In Region 3 (Central Luzon), a total of 341,242 families or 1,195,866 people were affected by the continuous rains brought by Typhoon Egay and the enhanced southwest monsoon.

The Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council-3 (RDRRMC-3) on Monday said a total of 8,862 families or 32,404 individuals were still staying in various evacuation centers in the region.

Some 18 houses were destroyed while 334 were damaged.

A total of 13 roads in the region, of which eight are in Pampanga, three are in Bulacan and one each in Zambales and Tarlac, are still not passable to light vehicles due to flooding.

Also, a total of 438 areas in the region were flooded due to moderate to heavy rains in the past days.

The estimated damage in agricultural areas and fisheries and aquatic resources in the region was initially pegged at P454 million and P141.59 million, respectively, for a total of over P596 million.

Ten local government units (LGUs) in the region have so far declared a state of calamity due to the extent of damage caused by Typhoon Egay and the southwest monsoon.

These are the province of Bataan, five municipalities in Pampanga – San Simon, Macabebe, San Luis, Minalin and Sto. Tomas and the towns of Pulilan, Calumpit, Hagonoy and Paombong in the province of Bulacan.

A total of over P31 million worth of assistance was provided by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and LGUs to the affected individuals and families.

Due to massive floods caused by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rains, some LGUs in the region canceled work and classes on Monday.

Bulacan Gov. Daniel Fernando declared the suspension of classes at all levels, both in public and private schools, as well as work in government and private offices. All but two of the province’s 24 towns reported flooding.

In Olongapo City, Mayor Rolen Paulino Jr. also suspended classes at all levels.

Other LGUs that also suspended classes were the towns of Macabebe, San Simon, Candaba and Masantol, all in Pampanga and the cities of Malolos and Baliwag and the towns of Balagtas and Guiguinto, all in Bulacan.

Office of Civil Defense (OCD) Administrator Ariel Nepomuceno said some evacuees were already going back to their homes, while others chose to stay in evacuation centers due to rains brought by the southwest monsoon enhanced by Typhoon Falcon.

The Philippine National Police and the Bureau of Fire Protection remain on full alert to assist LGUs in responding to the effects of Tropical Storm Falcon and the southwest monsoon, the Department of the Interior and Local Government said on Monday.

DILG Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. said that all hands are on deck to ensure the safety of residents in affected communities as most parts of Luzon remain drenched due to the continual rains.

He added that his agency is working closely with other national agencies to mobilize support and assistance to vulnerable LGUs.

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority on Monday reported flooded areas brought by continuous rains in the National Capital Region.

The gutter-deep floods also caused the slow moving of vehicles along the westbound lane of C-3 A. Bonifacio Avenue, southbound of Guanzon, Quirino Highway, and northbound lane of McArthur Highway Calle Uno as of 9 a.m.

On Saturday, the MMDA raised an alarm over trash which clogged pumping stations and drainage systems that cause flooding in the metropolis.

While the agency is boosting its efforts in cleanup operations, MMDA chairman Romando Artes said the public must do their part by managing their garbage properly.

He said garbage deliberately thrown on the streets end up clogging canals, drainage systems, waterways and eventually pumping stations.

The MMDA has 67 pumping stations located in strategic areas in Metro Manila, which the agency said are all operational this rainy season.

Senator Bong Revilla, meanwhile, lamented that the government has been spending billions of pesos on flood control programs that do not seem to work.

As some parts of Metro Manila were under water due typhoons Egay and Falcon, Revilla said he will summon DPWH and MMDA officials to answer questions about the flood control program.

Based on the annual General Appropriations Act from 2019-2023, DPWH received a total of P594.62 billion for their flood control program while the MMDA got P6 billion.

Revilla said every year, they put up huge budgets for these two agencies to address flooding.

“Why can’t we feel any outcome?” he said.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.

*****
Credit belongs to : www.manilastandard.net

Check Also

Romualdo to ex-Speaker Alvarez: Free speech claim is ‘palusot’

Camiguin Rep. Jurdin Jesus Romualdo on Wednesday lauded the decision of Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin …